What Are a Father's Rights in Killeen?

If you are a father who wants to spend time with your child, you know how tragic it can be when their mother refuses to let you communicate with them. Fortunately, Texas Law prohibits child custody disputes being decided solely by the gender of the parent. In other words, mothers should not be presumed more suitable custodial parents.

As the father of a child, you have the same rights concerning your child as the child’s mother. Texas law ensures the protection of those rights. To exercise the rights of a father, you must meet the legal requirements for being a child’s father.

According to Texas law, a man is presumed to be the father if:

  • He and the child’s mother are married at the time of the child’s birth
  • He is married to the child’s mother, and the child is born before the 301st day after the marriage is terminated by divorce, annulment, declaration of invalidity, or death
  • He married the child’s mother after the birth of the child and voluntarily and officially asserted his paternity of the child
  • He resided continuously for two years in the household of the child, and he demonstrated to others that the child was his own

If any of the above is true of you and you have established legal standing to support that you are the child’s father, you have paternal rights. A seasoned attorney can help you protect your rights.

The Texas Family Code states that each parent of a child has many rights.

What Are a Parent’s Rights in Texas?

Fathers and mothers share the right to:

  • Have physical possession of the child
  • Direct the moral and religious training of the child
  • Consent to dental and medical care
  • Designate the residence of the child
  • Represent the child in legal action
  • Make decisions concerning the child’s education
  • Consent to the child’s marriage
  • Consent to the child’s enlistment in the armed forces of the U.S.
  • Receive and give payments for the support of the child
  • Consent to psychiatric, psychological, and surgical treatment
  • Hold or disburse funds for the benefit of the child
  • Inherit from and through the child

Protect your parental rights today by dialing (254) 221-8588.

Schedule Your Consultation Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.