Divorce is not only emotionally challenging, but it is also a complex legal process that requires a lot of preparation. To ensure it goes as smoothly as possible, there are some steps you should take to prepare for it. Of course, not every divorce is the same, so it is essential to hire an experienced attorney to guide you through it.
Getting Prepared for Your Split
The divorce process involves a lot of paperwork and documentation, so the more pertinent information you can gather, the better.
Here are some tips on how to get prepared for your divorce:
- Make copies of all important documents, including those that are related to your income, debts, assets, and expenses. For example, you will need copies of bank account statements, life insurance policies, tax returns, paycheck stubs, retirement account statements, credit card statements, and auto insurance policies.
- If you do not already store your personal items separately, be sure to collect them and keep them in a safe place. Gather your birth certificate, Social Security Card, passport, and other personal items.
- Your investments and savings are not the only assets you have. Chances are you have some valuables in your home, so be sure to inventory them. Take pictures or videos with your phone to document everything.
- Do a credit check before you start the divorce process. It is crucial to see your credit report and to be aware of any debts that exist, so you can better plan for your financial future. You should also consider opening up a new credit card that is only in your name.
- Change the passwords on all of your personal accounts, such as your social media, email, cell phone, and computer. Moreover, since your spouse knows you well, choose new passwords that would not be easy to guess. It is important to protect your confidentiality.
Schedule a Consultation with an Experienced Divorce Attorney to Get Started!
If you are planning to file for divorce, the skilled family law team at the Law Office of Nancy Perry Eaton, PLLC can provide the exceptional guidance and legal advice you need to smoothly navigate it. With our experienced attorney on your side, you can feel confident that your best interests will be protected and you will receive the most favorable results possible for your case.
Reach out to our law office today at (254) 221-8588 to schedule a consultation with our attorney to get started on your case.